Friday 7 January 2011

The very "best" of Stu & The Frets?

Back in the days when I was doing Advanced Higher in school I was the bass player in my high school band Stu & The Frets. The four-piece group (later three) formed some time in 2003, but didn't really take off until 2005 - in the Spring we recorded an EP and experienced a line-up change. The Summer was our finest hour as we played a string of successful gigs in our local area before musical differences led to our subsequent split in the Autumn. I was inspired to spoof ourselves in this mock-greatest hits CD cover sleeve design! Not bad for a quickie!

In the years that have followed we've all done our own respective projects; the group's quirky and charismatic frontman Stuart Strachan went on to form The GetDowns (effectively a continuation of The Frets), one of Dundee's most infamous local bands of the late 2000s, while latter-day drummer Jonny Reid ultimately carried on in another group I was linked with called Sugarhouse Wynd. Meanwhile I am best known for my solo electronica work under the pseudonym KFox, though in I did pick the bass up again with The Affiliates for a couple of years towards the end of the noughties.

I miss performing with the guys, but frankly I think since we all went our seperate ways, we have made far better music than ever before. Except perhaps Stuart himself, but that is entirely up for debate!

No comments:

Post a Comment